Re: [AD] some questions

On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 07:19:33AM +0600, Michael Bukin wrote:
> 2. In version 3.9.26, could configure find that MMX is supported?

I *think* it works on my machine, but I'll let you know if not.

> 3. Mouse driver for Linux uses large buffer for getting data from
> device driver.  But all device drivers only fill 3 first bytes in the
> read call and zero out the rest of supplied buffer.  Is large buffer
> used for getting gpm data (I have not looked in gpm sources)?  Or was
> it just overlooked?

IIRC the large buffer is there so that we can pull out all the
data that's returned -- if we're ignoring SIGIOs for a bit (e.g.
in console switching) then the buffer might get more than one
block of data in it.  Also, not all mice work in 3 byte packets
-- the Mouse Systems protocol uses 5 byte packets, and this is
what the GPM repeater uses.  That's not an excuse for a large
buffer though.  The main reason was that with the old code for
responding to SIGIO, if there was a lot of mouse data then
keyboard events wouldn't be processed, disabling things like
console switching and the self destruct sequence.  That's not
the case now though, so if you'd prefer a smaller buffer then
it can be done.

> BTW, X-Windows version works already (at least, exhello).

Excellent. :)

George