[AD] Windowing

Hi All.

I'd like to see (read: prepared to cut code) support for windowing in
Allegro (I think only appropriate to X11 and MS Windows although I don't
want to touch MS Windows).  I guess this would involve receiving expose and
resize events from the window manager, and possibly focus/lost focus or
activate/deactive messages etc.  Another thing I would like to work on is
more direct support for X11 primitives.  For example, a call to
create_window returns a pointer to a window, maybe create_pixmap which
returns a pixmap (sort of equivalent to video memory under direct x with all
associtated advantages for calling blit) although I think there is already
support for this already?  Then, when I call draw_poly or draw_line (sorry
can't remember the exact function names), they get mapped to something like
XFillPoly or XDrawLine.  Also sprites and fonts can be mapped to masked
pixmaps.  I think if windowing is implemented then the windows don't need to
be double buffered at the expense of extra complexity for the end
programmer.  Sorry for the poor wording.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  (even an API?) Or should I just wait
for 4.0 and work on that.  Also, what is the current status of XWinAllegro -
is it being merged with full allegro and where can I get a copy (the only
site I am aware of is Michael's original site, where I can only see version
3.0).

Thanks,
Ben White

PS Another thing I would like to do (a big motivator for windowing events)
is to make an addon for the allegro GUI.  Something like GTK+ or EZWGL where
widgets size and position themselves automatically based on the hierarchy in
which they are ordered.  This would allow people to use Allegro to make
pretty decent window GUI programs.