Re: [AD] Progress report on Linux console Allegro

Shawn Hargreaves <shawn@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> George Foot <george.foot@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > > I don't know why the AUTHORS files would have been lowercased. They are
> > > certainly uppercase on my DOS partition, so all I can think is that the
> > > djgpp version of patch is for some reason deciding that it knows better,
> > > and changing them for me. Yuck.
> >
> > It might be djgpp itself, or Windows's LFN routines.
>
> I tried to duplicate this with a couple of simple tests, and couldn't get
> patch to go wrong. The closest I came is that when trying to generate a diff
> between "OLDFILE" and "NEWFILE", where "NEWFILE" doesn't exist, the
> resulting error message listed "newfile" in lowercase. Whenever both files
> existed, the resulting patch listed the names in the correct case. But I'll
> check this the next time I build a real diff.

This behaviour is defined by DJGPP libc.  It converts filenames with
all uppercase characters to all lowercase characters.  This magic can
be disabled by setting FNCASE environment variable to "y(es)?", but it
might break something else then.

When both file names are given on command line, diff does not change
the case, but when `-r' switch is used, it returns lowercased names
for all entries that are stored with all characters in uppercase.

This is a problem with perl in DJGPP, which tries to convert directory
name of a module into function name for module initialization.

--
Michael Bukin