Re: [translations] lost committishes [WAS Re: Doc-it: revision of snippets in LM (please backport to 2.14)]

Il giorno mar, 02/08/2011 alle 14.33 +0200, Francisco Vila ha scritto:
> I tend to believe that the method in CG is not correct if you are
> commiting through patches that you send and other applies.  In this
> case, probably the commit IDs are not guaranteed to remain the same,
> ant thus you can not trust on them to mark files as up to date.

Yes, I remember that I stumbled upon the same issue in the past and you
gave the same answer.

The problem is that, except for you and the french guys (I think), most
of translation contributors do not have push access.  This means that
documentation gives "wrong" information for most of us.

> Something that would work instead is this: you publish your
> translations and the result of makelsr as a patch.  When the commit
> from your patch is online in Savannah, reset and pull, then take its
> commit ID from your updated tree. Check that this commit ID is the
> same as on Savannah.  Then you can fix the committishes of your
> translations taking this published ID as a valid one.  make check
> should work properly without bad object errors and it should not show
> any diff for updated files.

This method requires one more patch, right?
There's a way to avoid that?
For example, what if I used the last committish of the snippet I'm
translating (as I normally do with all the files)?

I think that this issue would deserve some lines in the CG.

Cheers,
Federico