Re: [translations] lost committishes [WAS Re: Doc-it: revision of snippets in LM (please backport to 2.14)]

Federico,

2011/7/24 Federico Bruni <fedelogy@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Francisco,
>
> thanks a lot for your explanation
>
> Il giorno sab, 23/07/2011 alle 02.45 +0200, Francisco Vila ha scritto:
>> But looking at the content, these lines
>>
>> -%% Translation of GIT committish:
>> 4077120c18ac1dc490501b3d7d5886bc93e61a42
>> +%% Translation of GIT committish:
>> 514674cb00c18629242dfcde0c1a4976758adc56
>>
>> in every changed file indicate that you put a non-existant committish
>> on your files, in other words you "invented" the ID 514674cb00c :-)
>
> It's the committish of the first commit, as you can see here:
>
> commit 514674cb00c18629242dfcde0c1a4976758adc56
> Author: Federico Bruni <fedelogy@xxxxxxxxx>
> Date:   Wed Jul 20 00:17:06 2011 +0200
>
>    Doc-it: fix translations in snippets. Run makelsr.
>

> Yes, it exists only in my repository. I must have misunderstood this
> part of the CG (5.8.3):
>
> "A special case is updating Snippet documentation strings in
> ‘Documentation/MY-LANGUAGE/texidocs’. For these to be correctly marked
> as up-to-date, first run makelsr.py as explained in Adding and editing
> snippets, and commit the resulting compiled snippets left in
> ‘Documentation/snippets/’. Say the SHA1 ID code of this commit is <C>..
> Now edit again your translated files in
> ‘Documentation/MY-LANGUAGE/texidocs’ adjusting the 40-digit committish
> that appears in the text to be <C>; finally, commit these updated files.
> Not doing so would result in changes made both to your updates and
> original snippets to persistently appear in the check-translation output
> as if they were out of sync."
>
> I read it again and again and I think I've done exactly what it's
> written.
> What I'm missing?
>
> In my case <C> is 514674cb00c18629242dfcde0c1a4976758adc56
> Which committish should I've used instead?

I tend to believe that the method in CG is not correct if you are
commiting through patches that you send and other applies.  In this
case, probably the commit IDs are not guaranteed to remain the same,
ant thus you can not trust on them to mark files as up to date.

Something that would work instead is this: you publish your
translations and the result of makelsr as a patch.  When the commit
from your patch is online in Savannah, reset and pull, then take its
commit ID from your updated tree. Check that this commit ID is the
same as on Savannah.  Then you can fix the committishes of your
translations taking this published ID as a valid one.  make check
should work properly without bad object errors and it should not show
any diff for updated files.