Re: [tablatures] Power chords

I think they could be added to ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly
Is there anything wrong with adding the following lines to ly/chord-
modifiers-init.ly?

powerChordSymbol = {
     <c g>-\markup { \normal-size-super "5" }
     <c g c'>1-\markup { \normal-size-super "5" }
}

powerChords =
#(sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions powerChordSymbol #t)

Adding these to ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly would be fine.
Done

I also would like to have a command like \powerChords to avoid to
have to write "\set chordNameExceptions = #powerChords". So far I use
this command in my .ly-files.

powerChords = {
   \set chordNameExceptions = #powerChords
}

Where do I have to put this command and what do I have to do/change
to make it an "official/executable" command without having to define
it "manually" in my ..ly-files?

This command should probably be added to ly/property-init.ly.  However, it's
possible that it will be moved during patch review.

I think that the way you've currently written this could be improved.  The
way it's written, your second definition of powerChords will replace the
first when the code is parsed, even if it's not used in your ly file.

It would probably be better to define something like

powerChordExceptions =
  #(sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions powerChordSymbol #t)

and then

powerChords = {
   \set chordNameExceptions = #powerChordExceptions
}

This way, powerChordExceptions is still available in case somebody wants to
combine powerChordExceptions with their own personal list of chord
exceptions, by doing something like

myExceptions =
  #(append (sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions myExceptionMusic #t)
           powerChordExceptions)
Done

I concur with the c:1.5 and c:1.5.8  I prefer these to c:5^3 and c:
5^3.8

These should be added to Appendix A.2 Common chord modifiers.
I guess there should be only one additional entry showing both
versions in half notes?
c2:1.5 c2:1.5.8

I think two entries -- one for two-voiced power chord, one for three-voiced
power chord.

Done

If no one objects I could offer
to add a few lines of text to the manual concerning power chords??!!
Is it worth adding this example to the snippet repository?

Since this uses \set, it belongs in the manual in the form of a
snippet.
Write the documentation right into the texidoc for the snippet, and
make
sure it gets added to the LSR with a docs tag and a fretted strings
tag.
I haven't done that before so I'll first have to find an example for
that.

If you use the definition of \powerChords, then \powerChords can be used in
the body of the documentation.  But there should still be a snippet showing
how to combine powerChords with other exceptions.

Done

Then, we'll need to modify the Selected Snippets section of NR
include your snippet.
Ok, but what about the sections "Extended and altered chords" and
"Printing chord names"? Shouldn't it be mentioned there as well?

Add a chords tag to the snippet as well.  A @seealso reference in each of
these sections would be appropriate.

When I search for "power chord" in google, it is clear that this is
primarily a guitar term, so I think it's appropriate to have the primary
documentation section in the Guitar music.

Done.

I included a patch I sent you a couple of days ago just in case you didn't get it. I tried to follow the documentation policy as close as I could. I hope I didn't overlook anything. Just tell me if something needs to be changed.

Thanks for your patience and help!!
patrick

P.S.: I got the following error when I clicked "Update source" in LilyPond Contributor's Git Interface version 0.64:
Command returned an error: child process exited abnormally. Check output text for details.

Updating LilyPond...
|git --git-dir=/Users/PLS/lilypond-git/.git fetch origin 2>@1
|git --git-dir=/Users/PLS/lilypond-git/.git rebase origin/master 2>@1
Documentation/notation/fretted-strings.itely: needs update
Documentation/notation/notation-appendices.itely: needs update
Done.

I hope I didn't mess anything up...