Re: [tablatures] Re: ukulele fretboards

On 11/24/09 2:33 PM, "Matt Corks" <mvcorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 01:44:06PM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> We use a C9 chord in the documentation to demonstrate automatic
>> fretboard generation.  Our initial plan was to leave the 9th
>> fretboards out of predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly so we could continue
>> to do that, but maybe that's a myopic view.
>
> I see.  So perhaps this could be demonstrated with c:maj9, c:m9, or
> something else from the list in section B.2.

>>> Right, I did add that ukulele-tuning to
>>> predefined-ukulele-fretboards.  I had avoided the others just
>>> because I thought I might make a mistake and wasn't sure how to
>>> easily proofread these.  Here you go, but someone ought to double
>>> check these numbers (for example, I think one number was wrong in
>>> the last version I sent to this list):
>>
>> Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no *someone* available to
>> double-check the numbers.  As it stands right now, you are the expert
>> on ukulele fretboards and ukulele tunings for LilyPond.
>
> Right, I gathered that from the lack of discussion of this topic in the
> mailing list archives.  I personally have ever only played a soprano
> ukulele with standard tuning; the list above comes directly from
> Wikipedia, which I've cross-checked against a few ukulele websites, and
> see no reason to distrust.  But in case it wasn't clear, the only part
> I wanted help with was the conversion to a Scheme command.  This was
> the source of the error I mentioned above, not a lack of familiarity
> with ukulele tunings themselves.  I know there are examples of setting
> the tunings for various instruments in the documentation, but since
> those settings don't result in a clear visual output like the fretboard
> diagrams themselves, I wasn't certain how to double-check them.

Probably the simplest way to double-check them is to set the stringTunings
property to the specified ukulele tuning, then have an automatic fretboard
be calculated from a chord containing the open-string pitches.

Oooh -- now that I think about it that won't work right now, because the
automatic fretboard calculator requires sorted string pitches (i.e. pitch
continually increases or decreases from one string to the next, and ukuleles
don't do that).

So for right now, let's put them in at what is your best guess.  If they're
wrong, it won't hurt anybody right now.  If they're right, we've got it
done.

BTW, I checked your numbers, and they looked right to me.

Thanks,

Carl