Re: [tablatures] predefined-guitar-fretboards

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:05:43 -0700
> Von: Carl Sorensen <c_sorensen@xxxxxxx>
> An: "tablatures@xxxxxxxxxxx" <tablatures@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Patrick Schmidt <p.l.schmidt@xxxxxx>, lilypond user group <lilypond-user@xxxxxxx>
> CC: "marc@xxxxxxxxxx" <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Betreff: Re: [tablatures] predefined-guitar-fretboards

> On 11/9/09 2:38 PM, "Patrick Schmidt" <p.l.schmidt@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi Carl,
> >
> > I found a mistake in a predefined fret diagram (Fmaj7) and fixed it.
> Here is
> > the patch.
>
> Thanks for your review.  I appreciate your looking at it.
>
> Why do you consider the Fmaj7 chord in the file to be a mistake?
>
> The chord that exists in the file is the first chord given at 8notes.com
> (except the fingering is wrong on 8notes):
> http://www.8notes.com/guitar_chord_chart/Fmaj7.asp
>
> It's also the chord given at guitargearheads.com:
> http://www.guitargearheads.com/downloads/chordchart.pdf
>
> I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that it's also listed in The Big Gig
> Bag Book of Fret Diagrams. (I'm not at home right now, where the book is,
> but I used that as my primary reference).
>
> I'm also familiar with the 4-string version of the chord (which you
> changed
> to in the patch).  So I know that it's correct as well.
>
> In creating the predefined diagrams, I was the sole arbiter of what
> diagram
> should be in the file, since I was the author.  I think that my decision
> process was to choose a reasonable (subjective term) diagram with the most
> strings.  Hence, my version (x;3;3;2;1;0;), which has more strings than
> your
> version (x;x;3;2;1;0;), was selected for inclusion.
>
> I'm happy to have a discussion as to which diagrams ought to be included
> in
> the predefined file (and we can include multiple diagrams for a given
> chord
> by changing the octave), but I don't think we ought to change from one
> correct diagram to another correct diagram just because of one person's
> personal preference. Otherwise, we can get in a never-ending change loop
> (Patrick likes diagram A, Carl likes diagram B, and we keep submitting
> conflicting patches).
>
> So, how do you think we should decide which diagram for a particular chord
> goes in the default predefined diagrams?
>
> Once we decide on a process, then we can follow that process to decide
> which
> Fmaj7 chord should go in the defaults.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carl

Here's a minimal example:

\version "2.13.7"
Chords = \chordmode {
	f1:maj7
}

mel = {
	f'1
}

\score {
  <<

    \new ChordNames {
      \set chordChanges = ##t
       \Chords
    }
    \new FretBoards {
    	 \Chords
    }

  \new Staff = "melody" <<
    	\mel

}

I didn't change the predefined diagram because of personal preference but because the definition of Fmaj in predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly is/was wrong (x;3-3;3-4;2-2;1-1;). In the fret diagram in the above minimal example the Fmaj-Chord contains the notes f bes des f. Nevertheless I'd rather use x;3;3;2;1;0; for a Fmaj/C and x;x;3;2;1;0; for Fmaj.