Re: [tablatures] string number in TabStaff: show or hide?

Federico Bruni schrieb:
Marc Hohl wrote:
Federico Bruni schrieb:
Hi,

I've done some small tests with 2.13.4 and it seems to work great.

I have question for Marc and for all the other tablature users.
I can see the default behaviour is still printing the string numbers in the TabStaff.
You mean the string nubers in the normal staff, right? :-)

yes

[..]

Should this (hide string number) be the default settings?
The problem is that the string numbers appear in a *normal* staff
which should somehow (automagically) know that there will be
another *TabStaff* dealing with exactly the same input if you want
it to remove the string numbers.
As far as I know, this isn't possible in lilypond.
And globally assuming that every guitarist will use normal and tablature notation
in every case is too far from reality, I think.

Yes, of course.. I didn't think about that, you are right.
So nevermind.. I just wanted to be sure that you didn't forget this issue, but now I can see you didn't at all
No problem at all - at first glance, I thought this could be easily done, but I was wrong;
so my first response was simply too enthusiastic...

If we agree on this change, it could be added in the next soon-coming version.
Otherwise, I'll keep using my override ;-)

As an alternative, it is possible to write a music function which takes your guitar music as input and creates both normal and tablature staves - within this function, you can
make the string numbers disappear as default.

CombinedTabStaff = #(define-music-function (aprser location music) (ly:music?)
 #{
   <<
\new Staff \with { \override Staff.StringNumber #'transparent = ##t } { $music }
     \new TabStaff { $music }

 #}

(This is untested and perhaps buggy, but in gerneral, it won't be too difficult ...
With such a function you can use

\CombinedTabStaff { ...your music here ... }
to get a normal staff without string numbers and a tab staff as well.

thanks, but I'll keep using this simple code (that you suggested me some weeks ago) in my personal-tab-settings file :-)

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \override StringNumber #'transparent = ##t
  }
}

Ok.

Greetings