Re: [frogs] chord-name-engraver plus capo

 On 31/08/10 12:15, Graham Percival wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 09:06:26PM -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> On 8/30/10 6:08 PM, "Wols Lists" <antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Is that legally proper?
>> According to the Berne Convention, a copyright notice is not even required
>> in order to have copyright protection, so whatever we right there would be
>                                                         ~~~~~
>> legal.
> Ouch, bad place for a homophone (which is a stricter term than
> homonym).
>
>> According to the gnu license how to
>> <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl-howto.html>
>> (which is the license we are using), the proper way is "If several people
>> helped write the code, use all their names".
>>> If somebody else alters it after I've submitted it, then be it upon
>>> them, but my notice says I modified the file in 2010, and I own the
>>> copyright to my additions. I don't want to claim any more than that.
>> No -- it would be a disaster trying to keep track in the header of which
>> dates each user made modifications to the code.
It's each individual developer's problem ... if I care enough to claim
copyright, it's my responsibility to keep my line up-to-date (and it's
courtesy not to claim if the modifications are trivial, here I don't
think they are because it is a significant change in functionality).
> Yes, especially since that information is readily available from
> the git history.  That's why a number of people recommend against
> having specific names in source code.  One project that follows
> that advice is svn.

Except that, if someone is searching for MY changes, they now have to
search twelve years of history instead of one ...

All the commercial code I've seen with multiple copyrights lists the
owners individually, with the years of their changes.
> I've been waiting for almost a year before getting into this -- I
> don't want to derail things before 2.14 is out.  Can we all
> ignore it for another month or two?

Will my changes be ready by then? :-) I hope so ...

Anyways, as I said, if someone else changes it, I don't really give a
monkeys - their change, their responsibility. imho, if I do it, I'm
falsely claiming to have modified the code on dates I haven't, and *I*
don't want to be the person that does it :-)

Cheers,
Wol