[frogs] Re: Lilypond and Guile forward compatibility

Hi Ian,

I decided to test the custom environment you are using, so my comments
below are in response to my new setup.

On 2010-04-18, Ian Hulin wrote:

> I've just done a fresh clone of lilypond git and picked up your fixes.
> I've got Guile 1.9.10, and have set up a script guile-v2
> to do
> exec $HOME/Desktop/Development/Guile-and-Scheme/guile-1.9.10/meta/uninstalled-env bash
>
> I executed this and then did a clean Lilypond build using the fresh
> git repo for lilypond.
> After I patched the guile-config script to do this
>
> #!/bin/sh
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/home/ian/usr/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH"
> GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE
>
> exec "/home/ian/Desktop/Development/Guile-and-Scheme/guile-1.9.10/meta/guile" -e main -s $0 "$@"
> !#
> ;;;; exec "/home/ian/usr/bin/guile" -e main -s $0 "$@"
>
> The lilypond ./configure now runs to completion, so I did
> sh autogen.sh --prefix=$HOME/usr --disable-optimising

I can't reproduce a successful ./configure run by default.  I will
list the steps I took (in detail), where "/path/to/guile-1.9.10/" is
the directory in which I compiled Guile.

- Compile Guile 1.9.10 from scratch.

- Patch the generated file "meta/guile-config", as you did above,
  though I'm not sure this is really necessary.  Is this something you
  did for a custom setup?

- Run "/path/to/guile-1.9.10/meta/uninstalled-env bash"

- In LilyPond's top source dir, run "./autogen.sh --disable-optimising".
  This command failed for me, complaining that the linker could not
  find the Guile 2.0 library (-lguile-2.0).

- After an exhaustive search, I realized that Guile's -L linker flag
  points to the directory libguile-2.0 will be copied to during
  installation.  Pre-installation, the libguile-2.0 library is located
  in libguile/.libs, which is a libtool convention, I believe.

  In other words, if I compile LilyPond with these commands,
  everything checks out, and compilation fails for me at the same
  place it did before:

    $ libguiledir="/path/to/guile-1.9.10/libguile/.libs"
    $ export LDFLAGS="-L$libguiledir -Wl,-rpath $libguiledir"
    $ ./autogen.sh --disable-optimising
    $ make all

Can you test this to see if you get the same results?

Thanks,
Patrick