Re: [frogs] Music expressions and iterators (was: bend implementation)

On 2/6/10 7:47 AM, "Neil Puttock" <n.puttock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6 February 2010 08:17, Marc Hohl <marc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I have looked at scm/define-music-types.scm where all music expressions are
>> defined.
>> As I see it now, a StringBendMusic music expression should be much like the
>> SequentialMusic music expression which an additional 'referencePitch that
>> holds
>> the reference pitch which the engraver uses to get the information of how
>> the current
>> note is bent relative to this value.
>
> I think you should forget about all this for the time being; if your
> current focus is on getting bends between ordinary noteheads working,
> for simplicity's sake you should copy the existing style by using a
> single stream event between notes (this surely makes sense if the
> bends always span adjacent noteheads).

IIUC, Marc has already made bends between existing notes work by creating a
modified slur.  He could certainly do this in a straightforward manner.

> Even if you decide later to go
> with a more complicated construct using a music function, it would be
> easy enough to send a series of string-bend-events between NoteEvents
> while dealing with the more complex issue of tablature bends.

I still don't think that a string-bend-event is the *right* way to go, even
if it is the easy way to go to get bend indications between notes in the
normal notation.

Semantically, I think it's right that bend is a characteristic of a note,
just like string-number, finger, and right-hand finger are characteristics
of notes.

We've got a problem right now with duplicate structures; string-number and
finger can be entered as either events of their own or as articulations on
notes in a chord.  This causes problems with setting fingering; only
articulation fingerings are affected by the fingering orientation settings.

It seems to me that we ought to get the musical semantics right if we're
going to approach this properly.  Having a separate string-bend-event will
compound the issue we've already got with string-number-event and
fingering-event.  It seems to me that all of these should be articulations
of notes, as they are when they're included in chords.

Thanks,

Carl