Re: [frogs] CG chapter 3, first draft

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Mark Polesky <markpolesky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Graham Percival wrote:
>> Similarly, let's stop talking about g++ 3.4; just say 4.0
>> or higher.... I mean, if somebody complains that it
>> doesn't work in 3.4, we're (probably) not going to
>> actually fix that.
>
> Not done.  I met with some resistance on -devel.  Feel free
> to step in there.
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-01/msg00499.html

Me?  I don't know how this stuff works.  Go with whatever Patrick says.

>> It would be *really* nice if we stopped telling people to
>> look at input/regression/utf-8.ly for hints about fonts,
>> and had that info in the install chapter directly.
>
> Done.  But---what's the RPM equivalent of "apt-get install"?

Depends on the distro.  Everybody has their own.  Just list the
package names; anybody fussing with this stuff should be able to
figure it out, anyway.

>> 3.3
>>
>> Don't tell people about the source snapshot.
>
> Hmm.  Certainly some readers might be curious to see the
> snapshot without bothering with Git.  I don't think that
> including a quick link to it is going to harm anybody.  How
> strongly do you feel about this?  I kind of like it there.

I strongly feel that I will (continue to) get royally pissed off when
we receive emails saying "random
snapshop-a785b67c4g6d56ef675eedc86c86e.tar.bz2 doesn't work!"
(for bonus marks, find the illegal character in the above string)

If somebody discovers the snapshot link on their own, fine.  But
having a link in the CG seems to be asking for trouble.  Packagers
should work from compilable-tarballs (at least compilable on linux);
developers should work from git (so they can get easy bugfixes).
Snapshots combine the worst of both worlds, with none of the benefits.

If you still really want to have the link there, fine, but when
somebody runs into trouble with a snapshot, I'm going to take it out
on them.  IMO, one of the implied trade-offs of yelling at people for
doing stupid things is that the docs should be written so that it's
very hard to do stupid things.

Having "use at your own risk" isn't sufficient discouragement, IMO.

BTW, why use that gunzip command?  Just use
  tar -xj