Re: [frogs] CG chapter 3, first draft

Sorry, I'm using the gmail interface and somehow managed to hit a
"send" keyboard shortcut.  I left my netbook at home while I was
teaching.

I use
  tar -xjf lilypond-x.y.z-a.tar.bz2
for the tar.gz (do we even distribute those?), you'd change the j to a z.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Mark Polesky <markpolesky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> as Carl or John already pointed out, you don't need to run
>> ./configure if you run ./autogen.sh.
>
> Okay, I changed "you need to run" to "you should run".

well... ok.  Even that's not true, but it's easier than explaining "if
some time has passed since the last time you ran ./configure or
../autogen.sh, then run ./configure".

>> BTW, ./configure is *known* to not check all doc
>> requirements.  A warning here would definitely be
>> appropriate.
>
> Which doc requirements does it not check?  I know that
> ./configure doesn't issue an ERROR when missing a doc
> requirement, but it was my assumption that it should issue a
> WARNING.

Maoed if I can remember, but I had a good reason for adding

it might have been some of the texinfo fonts... no, wait, it was
imagemagick or netpbm or something like that... whatever.

I mean, yes, it *should* issue a warning, but it doesn't for some
doc-building requirements.

>> You also don't need to create the directory; as long as
>> you have write permission to the higher directory, make
>> install will create the install dir just fine.
>
> Hmm.  I didn't think the paragraph implies that the directory
> needs to exist.  Should I add "(or within)" like this?

hmm, reading it now, I agree that it doesn't.  I think I was confused
about the "intallation prefix"... I mean, if $HOME/usr/ doesn't exist,
make install will happily create it for you.

>> 3.5.1
>>
>> You don't need to run "make clean" unless you specifically
>> want to.  If the build system worked perfectly, you'd
>> *never* need to run make clean.  As it is, "make clean" is
>> only needed once every 2-3 months (from empirical
>> evidence).
>
> Oh.  I must have over-interpreted this post of yours:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-12/msg00496.html

That was a list of things to do to totally clean out your system and
start from fresh.

>> I'd mention -jX somewhere, since that's a very
>> commonly-used and desired option, with most people having
>> 2 or 4 cores.
>
> You mean specifically for `make' and not `make doc'?  If so,
> could you write a little paragraph?  I don't really know how
> it works.  I added a node.

"
To build with multiple CPUs, add -jX to the command, where X is one
more than the number of cores you have.  For examine, a typical
Core2Duo machine would use:

    make -j3
"

>> 3.6.2
>>
>> sweet mao, we don't want people running doc-clean!!!
>
> Why not?  You make it sound like there's something I don't
> know.  Something that should be mentioned, perhaps...

It forces a complete rebuild, thereby taking 30 minutes to 3 hours,
instead of 1-2 minutes to only generate the changed stuff.

Cheers,
- Graham