Re: [frogs] New Proposed Chapter 1 for Contributors Guide

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 08:39:21PM +0000, Ian Hulin wrote:
>    Carl, Graham, anyone else interested, please let me know if you think this
>    is worth me working on further when I next get some more time for Lilypond
>    stuff next weekend.

I'm confused, and slightly scared.  This looks like a rehashing of
Web->Community->Help us, and the CG.  What problem is this
intended to solve?

- I know that the CG might seem difficult to navigate, but when
  the docs are confusing, the answer is almost always to *reduce*
  material, not add it.
- notwithstanding any possible reductions+reorganizations, if
  somebody isn't already aware that we need help, and if they
  can't figure out what they want to help with, then they wouldn't
  be a good helper anyway.

I'm quite serious about the latter point; the retention rate of
potential contributors is quite low, so we don't want to encourage
people to claim to want to get involved if they're not going to
pan out.  If you're seriously interested in this, we could talk
about it, but I think we're already doing as much as we reasonable
can do -- I've discussed it with other leaders of open-source
projects, and if anything we're ahead of the pack.

Have I missed anything?

Cheers,
- Graham