Re: [frogs] Enhancement request: Define output-suffix as a configurable context property.

Hi Joe,

Joe Neeman wrote:
On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 18:06 -0600, Carl Sorensen wrote:

It would be convenient if the output-prefix could be defined in the /score
or /layout block that causes the creation of a Score context.  I think
that's why Ian was wanting to make it a context property of Score.  But I
suspect (although I can't prove) that the file handler exists *outside of*,
not inside of, the Score context.  Hence, we don't want to make it a context
property of Score, because we could change the property inside of the Score,
and the file handler wouldn't know about it.

An important reason (the main reason?) we can't (or shouldn't?) define
the file name in the score context is that there are often several
scores in a file.

No. It's exactly the reason we do need to be able to do something with it.  If a \score is set to produce midi output it produces one per score block.  Midi files were getting were getting over-written which is the reason the original (numeric-only) version of output-prefix was developed.

We either need to be able to do things which ape the context properties (use \override \revert) or have some separate midi-output-suffix property for the files to play with.

For other graphical back-ends (.pdf .png etc) there is one file per \book block (even if its an implicit one).

I did have kludgey idea to implement it but I'm still trying to get my head round the spate of responses which have just come in.

I'm just off to play in the sandpit with this for a bit. . .

Cheers,

Ian