Re: [frogs] Patch for removing oldaddlyrics function

On 2/1/09 3:46 PM, "Patrick McCarty" <pnorcks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Ian Hulin <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> From delving into the history, it looks like convertly has already done
>> stuff with this.in stages:
>> 1. A  \newaddlyrics was added
>> 2. \addlyrics was -> \oldaddlyrics
>> 3. \newaddlyrics -> \addlyrics.
>> So I don't think I need to do anything more than change
>> music-functions-init.ly.
>
> After removing the \oldaddlyrics function, any LilyPond files that
> contain this function will fail to compile with LilyPond 2.12, 2.10,
> ... , so some sort of convert-ly rule should be added.
>
> Looking through the mailing list archives, I've gathered that a
> search-and-replace convert-ly rule is not possible.  Mats suggests to
> add a warning:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2009-01/msg00167.html
>
> -Patrick

Ian,

Just trying to make sure you understand.  Old versions of lilypond used
\addlyrics.  If you run convert-ly on one of those, it will change
\addlyrics to \oldaddlyrics.

But there is not convert-ly rule that deals with those \oldaddlyrics calls,
which can be generated by convert-ly, without any input from a user.

You're proposing to remove that function, which will break any of those
legacy lilypond files.  So a convert-ly rule should be added that doesn't
automatically fix things, but prints a warning message saying essentially
"\oldaddlyrics has been removed.  You will need to convert manually to
\addlyrics or \lyricsto".

HTH,

Carl