Re: [frogs] Re: git problem

On 1/13/09 12:13 PM, "Hajo Dezelski" <dl1sdz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Carl,
>
>> I've copied this to Frogs so everybody will see it.
>
> it seems as I would have a problem with the frog mailing list. I didnt receive
> my own post and also not yours (my contribution).?
>>
>> The patch you sent had good docstrings, and the format was right, but the
>> docstrings were in the wrong location.  The docstrings belong after the
>> argument list and the argument type list for the music function being
>> defined.
>
> I followed the discussion on l-devel (grace) and saw the solution too late.
>>

>> It was a simple fix, and I have made it, so you don't need to do anything
>> more.
>
> I then tried to insert the patch to my git branch, but ran into other troubles
> (blanks etc.).
> And started to have a deeper look into git and this will take some time to
> understand.
>

>> However, I made a mistake when I gave this assignment, because I didn't give
>> you instructions about how to test your code to make sure it works.  And the
>> test for these changes requires building the documentation on your machine,
>> which requires more than a standard executable setup, so not all of the
>> Frogs may be able to do it.
>>
>> If you have
>> 1) obtained the lilypond source using git, and
>> 2) configured your machine to be able to build lilypond, at least the
>> documentation,
> I found on the kainhofer pages a very good introduction (Contributors guide)
> and installed the translate and the web branch with git on my own machine..

Yes, that's our newest documentation.  I'm glad to hear that it's helpful.

>> you can test your changes by changing to the Documentation/user directory
>> and running the commands
>>
>> make web
>>
>> followed by
>>
>> make web-clean
>
> I havent tried that yet, but although I did in former times a lot of
> compilations with Linux I still have some problems in finding the right
> bibliotheks, compilers etc. to compile lilypond on the ubuntu system.

Yes, it can be challenging. Good luck, if you're still interested.

> So you see I am on one hand still on board, but on the other hand I need a big
> learning phase which I have to do with my own rate.

I understand that.  Feel free to keep an eye open, and respond when you're
ready.

> There is so much traffic on the channel, which is sometimes hard to understand
> and not within my focus. So I switched to digest format on l-devel.

I also use digest format on both -devel and -user.  It's the only way I can
manage.

> I would propose due to my conflicting timemanagement that I sort of suspend my
> frogbeeing for the time to come, but if you have nothing against it, will try
> to follow the frog-discussion.

Great!

> In the meantime as my time permits I will study the other documentations, get
> aquainted with git (I saw a chance to use git for my Studion-Wiki
> (http://studion.cs.uni-tuebingen.de/abzwiki/index.php/Studion-Wiki) , and try
> to find a main focus to things which can be done with my background to
> Lilypond or Mutopia.

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know!

Thanks,

Carl