Re: [chrony-users] Silent Failure -- Enhancement Request

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 03:54:50PM +0000, Chris Knox wrote:
> That sounds to me like a vast improvement.  According to Syslog documentation, Facility 12 is reserved for the NTP subsystem -- so Chrony has its own Syslog facility to work with.  A Warning (Severity 4) on startup to Syslog about unreachable time sources would help, followed by an Error (Severity 3) if no time sources can be reached after some reasonable interval.  If no time source is available for some extended time (Days?  Weeks?), then there is a case to be made for logging it as Critical (Severity 2), which should be enough to attract attention.

In some configurations it can be expected. With the local directive it
can work as an NTP server even if it has no sources.

Anyway, with the latest code in git there should be one info message
logged soon after start (after first source has 8 polls) if the
selection fails.

This is not intended to replace a proper monitoring system.