Re: [chrony-users] Recommendation on chrony with 1pps

On Tue, Apr 09, 2024 at 07:23:25PM +0530, Abhijith Sethuraj wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What's the recommended way to use 1pps signals with chrony? I have two
> options here:
>
> 1. I have a specialized Solarflare card that has a 1pps receiver on the
> card itself and comes with sfptpd (PTP daemon for Solarflare cards and that
> has support for chrony). So, I could run sfptpd (for 1pps) side-by-side
> with chrony (for time of day).

I'm not sure what sfptpd does with chrony. If you don't need PTP, I'd
leave sfptpd disabled. If you need PTP, consider switching to linuxptp
and if you need to use both NTP and PTP as sources at the same time,
there is timemaster in linuxptp to simplify the configuration.

> 2. Specify /dev/ppsX as a 1pps source in chrony configs and mention a ref
> clock for time of day. Additional question here: Is it possible to specify
> another NTP server (strat 1) as a ref clock here? Asking since the examples
> are all targeted towards GPS ref clocks. If that's possible, could you
> provide a sample config as well?

Just specify both. Nothing special needed, e.g.
server a.b.c.d iburst
refclock PPS /dev/pps0

> Additionally, for #2 above, do I have to recompile chrony from source with
> additional arguments? I remember reading somewhere that by default chrony
> doesn't support PPS. Alternatively, if it's possible to identify this via
> something like `chronyd --version`, please let me know as well.

Try it and see if it fails to start due to missing driver.