[chrony-users] Chrony refclock socket 'disappears'

I've got a pair of systems running Chrony 4.3-2+deb12u1 (Debian Bookworm package) along with gpsd (built from source from the 'master' branch).

The chrony.conf file looks like this:

bindaddress 192.168.255.1
bindaddress 2001:470:8afe:255::1
bindacqaddress 192.168.86.20
bindacqaddress 2001:470:8afe:86::20

refclock SOCK /var/run/chrony.gpsd0.sock refid GPS

pool us.pool.ntp.org iburst

keyfile /etc/chrony/chrony.keys
driftfile /var/lib/chrony/chrony.drift
logdir /var/log/chrony

leapsectz right/UTC

rtcsync

makestep 0.1 3

allow all

gpsd is using /dev/gpsd0, so it finds this socket created by Chrony and feeds in both time and PPS, and life is good.

However, randomly, the GPS source just stops, and Chrony starts tracking one of the servers from us.pool.ntp.org. With the current configuration files there is nothing output in any logs (either for Chrony or gpsd) when this happens, but if I restart gpsd then I see this:

Feb 12 06:16:56 core23-a systemd[1]: Starting gpsd.service - GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon...
Feb 12 06:16:56 core23-a gpsd[2349564]: gpsd:ERROR: SHM: shmget(0x47505344, 29416, 0666) SHM export failed: Invalid argument(22)
Feb 12 06:16:56 core23-a systemd[1]: Started gpsd.service - GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon.

The only fix is to restart Chrony as well, and then gpsd restarts, reconnects, and Chrony starts receiving data again.

What can I do to figure what may be causing this? Is it safe/wise to run chronyd in 'production' mode with "-L 2"? This situation only occurs about once per week across the two machines, so I'll have to run with logging enabled for quite some time to catch it.