Re: [chrony-users] Chrony refclock socket 'disappears'

On Mon, Feb 12, 2024 at 07:14:24AM -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> However, randomly, the GPS source just stops, and Chrony starts tracking one of the servers from us.pool.ntp.org. With the current configuration files there is nothing output in any logs (either for Chrony or gpsd) when this happens, but if I restart gpsd then I see this:
>
> Feb 12 06:16:56 core23-a systemd[1]: Starting gpsd.service - GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon...
> Feb 12 06:16:56 core23-a gpsd[2349564]: gpsd:ERROR: SHM: shmget(0x47505344, 29416, 0666) SHM export failed: Invalid argument(22)

I'd suspect another gpsd instance started for some reason and
interfering with this one. Maybe a USB device is plugged in and some
script starts a new instance instead of adding the device to the
existing one?

> What can I do to figure what may be causing this? Is it safe/wise to run chronyd in 'production' mode with "-L 2"? This situation only occurs about once per week across the two machines, so I'll have to run with logging enabled for quite some time to catch it.

-L 2 will reduce logging. -L 0 is default. -L -1 would log debug
messages if they are compiled in.

You can try attaching to the chronyd process with strace to confirm
it's not receiving anything on the socket when it happens. It would be
just waiting in the select() call.