Re: [chrony-users] No packets transmitted when using Yocto 4.3.1

On 2024-01-02 11:34, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 11:46:57AM +0100, Thomas Lange wrote:
Hi,
when I cross compile Chrony for a 32bit ARM system using Yocto 4.3.1, no NTP
packets are transmitted.

cmsg_type is set to SO_TIMESTAMPING_NEW.
This is rejected by __sock_cmsg_send() in net/core/sock.c and no packet
is transmitted:

Before I dig deeper, I want to check if this is a known issue already?

To me that sounds like a mismatch between installed kernel headers and
the kernel that actually runs the executable. I don't have much
experience with embedded systems. On 32-bit OpenWrt I didn't see any
issues.

The root cause is a kernel bug. I have reported it to netdev:

  https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/a9090be2-ca7c-494c-89cb-49b1db2438ba@xxxxxxxxxxxx/T/#u

A proper patch has not been committed yet though, but it seems that my
one-line fix should do it according to comments so far.

AFAICT this bug breaks timestamping via cmsg (i.e. Chrony) for all 32bit
platforms using 64bit time. There could be other cases when SO_TIMESTAMPING
is mapped to SO_TIMESTAMPING_NEW though. I haven't looked into that.

/Thomas