Re: [chrony-users] PPS GPIO polling driver license

Thanks again, Bill.

> The SPDX seems to apply to the .h files associated with the driver, not the driver itself.
> Use of the driver by a program seems not to make the useing program a derived work,

This is also my understanding.

> so there is no need to have a special license.

Except the PPS GPIO poll source code isn't distributed _with_ the Linux kernel. That is, it isn't part of the kernel repository. As such, I don't think it is safe to assume the Linux syscall exception applies to the source code.

> Perhaps if you told us why you are asking and what you want to do it would make it easier.

I have another post coming that'll provide more details of what I'm trying to accomplish. I'd prefer to keep this thread on the topic of the license itself.

> What would you like the license to say?

It would be nice if the license made explicit reference to the Linux syscall exception. That is, being released under SPDX GPL-2.0 with Linux-syscall-note.

Thanks again!