Re: [chrony-users] chrony not switching to stratum 10 after loss of references

On Wed, Jun 14, 2023 at 08:50:28PM +0000, Charbonneau, André wrote:
> Root delay      : 0.000000001 seconds
> Root dispersion : 0.003475379 seconds
> Update interval : 16.0 seconds
> Leap status     : Normal
>
> I've also confirmed that it still happily serves time at stratum 1 level if I query it from another system (using ntpdate tool for example from another system).
>
> Is this normal and expected?  I was expecting chrony to fallback to stratum 10 but this is not what is happening.

It's expected in your configuration. The default threshold for
switching to the local mode is 1 second of root distance
(root delay / 2 + root dispersion).

You would need to specify a smaller threshold, e.g.
local stratum 10 distance 0.003