Re: [chrony-users] offline keyword only considered during start of chrony

I am using version 3.5, packed for ubuntu. Following your hint about the behavior change with version 4.0, I tried to replicate with v4.2. I can confirm that chrony behaves as expected with that version and the sources remain offline after gaining internet connection.

Many thanks and best regards

On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 10:14 AM Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 03, 2023 at 06:35:38PM +0200, Philipp Leemann wrote:
> Now for the part that is not working as expected: chrony seems to ignore
> the `offline`, from both, the config file as well as the explicit `chronyc
> offline` call, in case the internet connection is established at a later
> stage, i.e. after chrony has been started. Looking at `chronyc activity`,
> it reports `1 sources with unknown address` before internet connection is
> established, and jumps to `4 sources online` after establishing the
> connection. How can I tell chrony to keep these sources offline?

Are you using a distro package? There might be a NetworkManager
dispatcher script or other integration with the system networking
calling chronyc onoffline.

What version of chrony is it?

If it's before 4.0, iburst worked as if the chronyc burst command was
issued on start. It switched to online just for the burst and then
switched back. Those sources would be included in "0 sources doing
burst (return to offline)". In 4.0 iburst was changed to do the burst
only when online.