Re: [chrony-users] RE: Chrony is making NTP Server offline on the system boot

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_    theory.phyesics.ubc.ca/

On Sun, 8 Jan 2023, Iqbal Singh Aulakh -X (iaulakh - HCL AMERICA INC at Cisco) wrote:

In normal working sites chrony keeps retrying to connecth to the source and doesn't mark the source offline. In fact I can see in the logs after the NTP source is marked offline chrony still trys to connect to the source and eventually the source responds:

I do not understand. It seems that you are running both ntpd and chrony at the
same time. That makes no sense. Both would be fighting each other. and trying
to drag the clock around to "fix" the time. I may have misread the logs you
postedbut you do not want to run both. ONe or the other. They try to
accomplish the same thing but in very different and incompatible ways.

You could also try tunning ping to some outside machine to see how long it
takes the network to be established.