Re: [chrony-users] Using only pre-configured NTP servers or server list from DHCP

Supply those customers with a conf file with no default servers?

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_ www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/

On Tue, 3 May 2022, Bryan Evenson wrote:

[CAUTION: Non-UBC Email]

I have a default chrony.conf for some headless devices that has a list of default NTP servers to use.  These devices will also pull the NTP server list from the DHCP server if the DHCP server provides.  Overall this works.  The DHCP client appends the additional NTP servers to chrony.conf as expected.  However, from my understanding chrony will then use any of the NTP servers listed in chrony.conf.  I have a customer request that chrony would use only the NTP servers provided by the DCHP client.  I'm trying to figure out what my options are to make this happen.

Is there any way in chrony.conf to say, "ignore any NTP servers listed above"?  Or, is there a way to use multiple configuration files.  For example, chrony.conf is the base configuration, then tell it to use either chrony_defaultservers.conf or chrony_dhcpservers.conf?  Or does someone have any other methods that they have implemented that I haven't considered?

Since you have to supply a special chrony.conf file anyway (saying ""ignore
any NTP servers listed above"), just instead put a # at the beginning of those
default entries.

Thanks,
Bryan