Re: [chrony-users] Combination of server, pools and peers

On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 05:15:50PM +0000, David CLUYTENS wrote:
> This would mean that the NTP client would only support one mode (Server, Pool or Peer) simultaneously.
>
> Therefore my question have you seen or are there NTP architectures out there that mix these 3 configuration parameters inside one NTP client?

I don't think it's that uncommon to have all three types in one
configuration. Peering makes a difference only if you can configure
authentication and the other side is willing to make ephemeral
associations (chronyd does not support that).

Pools can be emulated by specifying the same hostname multiple times.
It's not exactly the same as pool (the startup behaviour is a bit
different), but close enough that in most cases I think it wouldn't
matter.

If it's not possible to specify the type for each hostname, I'd
suggest to treat everything as "server". No pools or peers.