Re: [chrony-users] chronyd C&M protocol licensing

On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 04:50:42PM +1100, Brad Hards wrote:
> I'm working on a Java implementation of the client side of the chronyd command
> and monitoring protocol - its up at https://github.com/bradh/chrony-java-parent/tree/main/chrony-java

> While there is no doubt that I used information from the chrony source (in
> particular, candm.h and how Float encoding works from util.c), I'm not sure
> whether it is a derived work. If possible, I would like to license my
> implementation under a more liberal license (e.g. Apache or MIT). Is that OK?

I think it's fine, but I'm not a lawyer. The candm.h file doesn't have
any real code, just a description of the data exchanged between the
client and server, which is needed for interoperability. As for the
Float encoding/decoding, I wrote that functionality and I'm ok with
people including (or rewriting in a different language) those two
functions under any license they like. I think the description of the
Float in candm.h should be sufficient, but I doubt there are many
different ways how it can be implemented. It's very simple.

There is a plan to provide a LGPL-licensed library with chrony for the
chronyc/chronyd protocol, which would be used by chronyc, but I'm not
sure if/when that will happen.