Re: [chrony-users] chronyd C&M protocol licensing

Well, if you want to be sure, do like Phoenix did with the IBM bios for the
PC. You get one person/team to write out the specification from the source
code for exactly what the data strucures, and queries are. Then you get
another person team which has never seen the code, only the apecification, and
inpliments the program from that, being very careful to document what was done
to ensure that they never saw the source code. You cannot do that yourself, unless you can convince a court that you sffered
a bought of total amnesia between wrting the specification and writing the
code. Otherwise  believe the presumption would be that what you write would be
a derived work.

Alternatively, you can get a special licence from the copyright holder to do
what you want. Exactly who the copyright holder would be for chrony is
unclear as a number of people have worked on it and contributed to it.

Thirdly you could do as you like and hope  none of the copyright  holders sue
you.

It is unclear to me which provision of GPL2 you want to violate. Do you want
to release it as prprietary code, and sue anyone who copies it? Do you want to
allow others to do that?

Note that I am  not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_ www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/