Re: [chrony-users] late-arriving hardware timestamps

Just to close the loop: it turns out that setting acquisitionport to anything other than 123 still gets us good hardware timestamping behavior *and* lets us have a stable port to let through the firewall.

On Thu, Nov 25, 2021 at 3:15 AM Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 01:48:39PM -0500, Aaron Ball wrote:
> Aha! That does indeed get us to 99.9+% hardware timestamps. Thanks!
>
> We have that setting in place for semi-obscure firewall-related reasons but
> we may be able to get rid of it. If we do need to control the source port,
> am I correct in assuming that setting the "port" option on each "server"
> directive would let us do that without triggering this problem?

The port option sets the destination port.

You need the client to not be using its server port for sending
requests. You can change acquisitionport to something else than 123,
or disable or move the server port.