Re: [chrony-users] late-arriving hardware timestamps

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 12:02:19PM -0500, Aaron Ball wrote:
> > Can you please post your chrony.conf?
>
> Both attached. (The only difference is the pidfile path.)

There is "acquisitionport 123" in the config files. I think that
prevents the implemented workaround from working. It can monitor only
client-specific sockets.

Try commenting that out and see if it helps.

> In general, does delaying processing to get more HW timestamps seem
> likely to be a good tradeoff for overall timekeeping quality? I.e., is
> there a clear empirical consensus on whether updating ~100 μs later or
> missing ~10% of hardware timestamps would have a bigger impact?

It's better to wait. Delaying the clock update has only a very minimal
impact, especially in the interleaved mode when the update is already
late by one poll interval.