Re: [chrony-users] late-arriving hardware timestamps

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 11:21:13AM -0500, Aaron Ball wrote:
> On our test hosts with X550 NICs, we're seeing fewer hardware
> timestamps under 4.1 than under 3.2.

There was a workaround added in 3.3 to wait (for up to 200
microseconds) for late HW TX timestamps of client requests. I'd expect
4.1 to be better than 3.2, not worse.

Can you please post your chrony.conf? Nothing else changed, like
kernel, drivers, firmware?

If you enable debug log (-d -d and chronyd compiled with
--enable-debug), does the problem disappear? It would be good to
confirm that you are getting the "Suspended RX processing" messages,
but you might need to patch the code to log those messages at a higher
log level and disable the debug output to still be able to reproduce
the problem.