[chrony-users] Setting to ignore stale reference time from server?

I've got two Linux-based embedded systems using chrony - one's the client and the other the server.

The client system has no battery-backed RTC, so when it boots. it's always the beginning of the epoch - Jan 1, 1970.

It then requests an update from the embedded server.

However, the server is running on a limited-data-plan cellular network, and only updates it's own clock about once every 30 days.

So, there are two issues:

1. The large time jump from 01/01/1970 to "today" - I think I've got this covered with the "makestep" directive.

2. The stale reference time reported by the embedded server. This is the issue I can't figure out from reading the documentation.

How do I instruct the client to ignore the stale reference time of the server?

Regards,
Bob