Re: [chrony-users] Chrony configuration with GPS+direct PHC

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 6:40 AM Kevin P. Fleming <kevin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 6:38 AM Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 06:32:46AM -0400, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> > > refclock SHM 0 refid GPS precision 1e-1 offset 0.065
> > > refclock PHC /dev/ptp3:extpps:nocrossts refid PPS width 0.5 precision 1e-7
> > >
> > > Chrony is quite happy with the PPS refclock now, but not so happy with
> > > the GPS refclock; I'll have to discuss that with the gpsd team.
> >
> > It looks ok to me. The message-based refclock is normally not expected
> > to be very stable or accurate, which is why it's recommended to
> > disable it for timekeeping by the noselect option and only use to
> > "lock" the PPS refclock.
>
> Alright, I've made that change too. As long as I can manage to get
> proper time out of this system even when there are no external NTP
> servers reachable, I'm in good shape :)

Unfortunately that was not successful; Chrony locks onto the PPS
refclock for a few seconds, then changes to an external server and
marks the PPS refclock as 'x'. Should I add a 'lock' directive to the
PPS refclock to force it to be combined with the GPS refclock?

If it's useful, I've posted a refclocks log at
https://km6g.us/1-refclocks-log.txt.