Re: [chrony-users] Chronyd does not use non-nts servers

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 03:58:12PM +0100, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
> I actually like to consider if "nts nocerttimecheck 1" would be a
> reasonable default config for what we ship in distros.
> People that can rely on their environment could further opt-in by dropping
> the nocerttimecheck.
> People with bad systems/clocks are not totally broken as the initial sync
> would be ok at least. And once the time is good after the first run it
> would be ok and use NTS.
>
> To me it seems that "nts" is more safe than "nts nocerttimecheck 1".
> But "nts nocerttimecheck 1" is much better than "".

I agree, but I'm no expert on TLS or certificates.

If you wanted to use nocerttimecheck by default, I'd suggest to
consider also adding the nosystemcert and ntstrustedcerts directives
to select only a minimal set of certificates needed to work with the
default servers to avoid attacks using an unrelated compromised key.

> The question to me is if there are general drawbacks that I'd overlook when
> we generally would enable this.
> E.g. much higher cpu consumptions which if you scale plenty of cloud guests
> would be a problem.

You mean additional load on NTP servers? NTS-KE is the problematic
part. It's difficult to estimate how much sessions per second might be
needed. In my tests a fast single CPU core can do about 1000 sessions
per second (using a ed25519 key). It scales well to multiple cores and
servers.

Most clients should be able to save and reload keys+cookies. They
won't generate much of NTS-KE load unless their packets are getting
lost in Internet (some major network operators are known to block/rate
limit long NTP packets). If this was a significant problem, we can add
an option to enable cookie reuse, losing some privacy benefits.
However, machines that are frequently created/reinstalled from
scratch wouldn't be able to reuse the keys/cookies and could generate
significant load if their number was large.