Re: [chrony-users] PTP as chrony time source and leap seconds

On Fri, Aug 07, 2020 at 12:48:14PM +0200, Olaf Frączyk wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to use PTP as one of chrony time sources. The chrony would
> discipline local clock and serve NTP to clients.
>
> I have found that one needs to specify number of leap seconds in config file
> when using PHC.

There is also the "tai" option to automatically correct refclock
samples for the TAI-UTC offset.

> Why is it necessary? The PTP protocol includes TAI-UTC offset.

PTP does, but chrony doesn't speak PTP.

> I saw that a possible solution would be to synchronize system clock using
> ptp4l with phc2sys and use local clock as chrony time source - however it
> may cause problems if PTP synchronization fails - and chrony will not know
> that local clock is unsynchronized. That's why I would like to use PTP
> source in chrony directly.

It's the opposite. The PHC refclock may be problematic when PTP stops
working. With phc2sys in the automatic mode (-a option) that shouldn't
be a problem.

My recommendation is to use phc2sys -a -E ntpshm and configure chrony
to use that SHM as a reference clock. In linuxptp there is a
timemaster program, which can be useful when you have multiple PTP
sources and don't want to deal with all the different programs that
need to be configured and started.