Re: [chrony-users] 'fallbackdrift' and temporarily connected ref-clocks

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 10:57:44AM -0600, simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am confused about 'fallbackdrift'; if my understanding is correct the
> above will cause the real time drift corrections from 'LTC' will be dropped
> between 16s and 32s.
>
> Q. Is this understanding correct?

The average frequency offset will be applied at 16s and 32s after the
last update of the clock. You would probably want to use a much longer
interval, one that covers daily temperature changes, etc.

> Q. Is there a better way to handled a disappearing ref-clock?

For a start, I'd recommend to disable the fallbackdrift, enable the
tracking log, and let it run for a day with the refclock to see how
the frequency is changing over time.

> Q. Is there a (better?) way to confirm drift compensation source?

The tracking log will show you the corrections as they are applied.

> Some (considerable) time later, I can see that local time has drifted off.

What are your requirements? Don't expect miracles with an ordinary
computer clock.