Re: [chrony-users] Adding intentional offset with chronyd

On Sun, 19 Jul 2020, John Munoz wrote:

Thanks for the fast response Bill,

As far as why, Our broadcast delay is capable of taking the studio SMPTE timecode and offsetting it by the live delay time.  We are running a network show so we never have to ramp up or down, it’s always 40 seconds (unless a dump has occurred). All of the studio clocks pull their SMPTE from the output of the delay.  We are redesigning one of the studios and all the visual content is being displayed on a large amptec mutlivew output.  The amptec is only capable of using NTP, not SMPTE and since the time is just 40 seconds ahead of realtime most of the time, I was just wanting to create a npt server that could be used exclusively for the amptec of that studio.

Probably a simpler way is define your own timezone which was
40 sec out from the real timezone you are at.
eg
Zone America/Vacouver_studio  -8:00:40 US S%sT

Or maybe you want it to be -7:59:20, I do not know)

(Which assumes of course that you want the time shown by the computer to be
governed by the US rules for daylight time)

This will mean that the system time is still being kept in UTC on that
computer, but the time displayed by say the date function is 40 min behind or
ahead of true local time. iThen there is no reason worry about chrony-- it sets the system time to UTC
as always.

That you for the command to check the version,

	[ec2-user@ip-10-31-0-80 ~]$ chronyc
	chrony version 3.5

The FAQ I read said that the offset began with 3.0 so I’m assuming I can do this with my version.

I’m pretty sure that the command I used in chrony.conf is where I messed up,

I just had added

	Offset 4.0

..to the end of the cony.conf file and was getting the error I indicated previously.  This time I added the offset option to the end of the source server in the conf file,

	# Amazon Time Sync Service
	server 169.254.169.123 prefer iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 offset 40

I also added it to the pool

	# Please consider joining the pool (http://www.pool.ntp.org/join.html).
	pool 2.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst offset 40.0

Restarted the service.. but when I tested it didn’t appear to be reflecting the offset.

D:\Users\user>w32tm /stripchart /computer:10.10.11.10 (Real time server)
Tracking 10.10.11.10 [10.10.11.10:123].
The current time is 7/19/2020 10:16:40 PM.

D:\Users\user>w32tm /stripchart /computer:10.31.0.80 (Chrony offset server)
Tracking 10.31.0.80 [10.31.0.80:123].
The current time is 7/19/2020 10:16:44 PM.

Complete chrony.conf file

# Use public servers from the pool.ntp.org project.
# Please consider joining the pool (http://www.pool.ntp.org/join.html).
pool 2.rhel.pool.ntp.org iburst offset 40.0

# Record the rate at which the system clock gains/losses time.
driftfile /var/lib/chrony/drift

# Allow the system clock to be stepped in the first three updates
# if its offset is larger than 1 second.
makestep 1.0 3

# Enable kernel synchronization of the real-time clock (RTC).
rtcsync

# Enable hardware timestamping on all interfaces that support it.
#hwtimestamp *

# Increase the minimum number of selectable sources required to adjust
# the system clock.
#minsources 2

# Allow NTP client access from local network.
allow 10.0.0.0/8

# Serve time even if not synchronized to a time source.
#local stratum 10

# Specify file containing keys for NTP authentication.
keyfile /etc/chrony.keys

# Get TAI-UTC offset and leap seconds from the system tz database.
leapsectz right/UTC

# Specify directory for log files.
logdir /var/log/chrony

# Select which information is logged.