Re: [chrony-users] Getting time synchronization offset from chronyd

Hallo everyone!

Thanks for the clarification and suggestions!

> If network traffic is important, have you considered dropping chrony and
> piggypacking whatever you need for time on other traffic?

In a previous project, we used ntpdate. It seems outdated and less and
less people are using it. I wanted to learn something new and give
chrony a go, it looks like a nice project and you are showing me that
it also has a nice community, that is a good reason for me to stick
with it. I'm conscient that for my use case, using chrony is probably
killing a mouse with a bazooka. I'm trying to do things "right" but I
don't need to be more Christian than the pope.

> The downside is that you have to become a time/NTP expert.  You are half way
> there already.

Hey, it's not because I dig a little into one implementation that I
know the protocol in detail! But I appreciate the compliment though
:D!

> Do you actually need time on the IoT device?  Can you use the time on the
> server?  That is, rather than sending a message that says "X happened at T0",
> send a message that says "X just happened" and let the server fill in the
> time.  Or "X happened Y seconds ago" if you want to batch several events.

This makes absolute sense but it could happen that the connection gets
lost because our device is moving (wheelchair), in that case we store
events (with a valid timestamp) on the device until the connection is
established again. BTW I know I should also use the "offline"
parameter but I'm not yet so far ;-)

> Call it 20 bytes for a convenient round number.  That's 25% of your 80 byte
> number so it would save 75% of the NTP part of your network bill.

I guess you are right but if we really want to spare bytes on the
network, we should first optimize our "events" channel that is 99.9%
of the communication. I need something quickly that simply works, you
are smarter than me and if I do it myself, I will for sure not do it
right the first time :D!

Keep the hard work and long life to chrony!

Guy