Re: [chrony-users] Resume from suspend and default makestep configuration

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 03:11:42PM +0200, Pali Rohár wrote:
> Also when resuming from hibernation you may have been completely powered
> off and also memory of system may have been modified. Plus multiOS
> scenario may have applied, e.g. ordinary user just "booted" windows and
> then turned it off and resumed linux from hibernation. I guess we would
> agree that ordinary user does not use any virtualisation as you
> described below.

I don't think that's a common practice. If you suspend an OS and boot
another, all kind of things can break, like corrupted swaps, etc. If
you know what you are doing, fine, but don't be surprised when things
break.

When chronyd is running, it assumes it has full control over the
system clock. When you suspend and resume the OS or machine, the
system clock is reset to the RTC. chronyd can see there was a forward
jump, but it doesn't know what happened. systemd should know that and
there could be a unit to call the chronyc reset and makestep commands
if a significant offset is expected.