Re: [chrony-users]

I have the same problem that the chronyd fails to start due to a delayed PPS device creation.

I had to postpone the start of chronyd by setting of ExecStartPre to a script to monitor the device's status.

I like the way that ntpd to deal this situation: starts the daemon and sync to the device with regular operation rule, using it depends on its stratum and precision.

Frank Huang

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 11:14 PM Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 03:48:31PM -0800, Bill Unruh wrote:
> Sometimes when I start my gps (using ldattach) it gets /dev/pps0 and sometimes /dev/pps1.

I think this happens if the old PPS device is still in use (e.g. by
chronyd) and ldattach is restarted. With systemd services it should be
possible to specify this dependency, so chronyd is stopped before new
ldattach is started.

> If I have the wrong one in chrony.conf, chrony runs but does not use the
> attached gps timing receiver. If I put in both pps0 and pps1 into chrony.conf,
> chronyd does not start up at all. Is
> there some way I can tell my chronyd to use whichever one is actually in
> existence?

No, a missing device is considered a fatal error.

One way around that is a symlink to the device. It can be created in
a custom udev rule or a script that runs before chronyd is started.