Re: [chrony-users] Surprising result of connectivity failure

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 12:25 AM Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 04:22:36PM -0800, Watson Ladd wrote:
> > Dear chrony-users,
> >
> > I'm writing because of a mysterious occurrence a few weeks ago: a few
> > of our stratum 1 sources were unreachable, and chrony did not
> > synchronize the clock, despite reachable servers. The synchronization
> > distance continued to rise, until the servers were available again and
> > one was elected.
>
> Did the other sources have comparable root distance to the servers
> that become unreachable? chronyd will not immediately reselect to a
> significantly worse source. It waits until the estimate of the local
> clock error becomes comparable to the sources that are available.

So I sadly only have chronyc sources output, not chronyc ntpstats that
would help me answer this question definitively.  From the data I have
it seems as though one unaffected stratum 1 was a short distance away,
but I'll keep this in mind and revise our internal documentation to
remember this for the future.

Sincerely,
Watson