RE: [chrony-users] Changing hostnames for chronyc sources and sourcestats results

See inline.
Thank you again for your work on chrony.

-----Original Message-----
From: Miroslav Lichvar <mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 25, 2019 3:49 AM
To: chrony-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [chrony-users] Changing hostnames for chronyc sources and sourcestats results

EXTERNAL MESSAGE. DO NOT open attachments or click links from unknown senders or unknown emails.
________________________________

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 08:51:17PM +0000, Kohr, Alexander wrote:
> For those that want to show both the hostname and the IP address for instance in the case where you have a pool of IP addresses for just one hostname like 0.centos.pool.ntp.org, maybe you could use a -l for long flag to allow both the Name/IP Address field to show both a hostname and specific IP address you are connecting to, along with any other changes to that output that would need to be made when flags like -4 or -6 are also invoked.

Do you think it would make sense to have a new command like "ntpnames"
to display both the addresses and hostnames, without any other data?

In my opinion having just a ntpnames command would be a much less useful, than being able to display that information in the sources and sourcestats outputs, especially in light of SSL being integrated into ntp.  I also suspect that as part of the SSL related work you are
going to be making modifications to the current chrony commands and or some new chronyc commands to provide feedback on SSL status. So maybe adding a/some new command/s to display ssl connection status information about the remote servers might be way to integrate the configured hostname and actual IP address information into chronyc output along with those new outputs, for instance whether each of the sources are supposed be connecting via SSL or not, and if  each of their related SSL connection are working or not and if it is not, and possibly a helpful error message or the open ssl error codes.

Though the more I think about it you could just use the normal "sources state" column of the sources output with either the normal ? for unreachable or maybe a new character code specific to failed SSL connection for an SSL source and make people look in the chronyd logs for the actual SSL issues and or use openssl to debug the issue.  Which if you were to do that would just bring me back to the logic that it would be best if it were output in the chronyc sources and sourcestatus commands.

> Thank you, for your time and consideration and for any future changes you may make to future versions to show the as configured on launch information in the Names/IP addresses and the possibility of showing both an IP address and a hostname.

Thank you for your input.

In the experimental NTS code I'm working on, each NTP source remembers its hostname from the configuration. So, we just need to make it available to chronyc (e.g. a new command to return the name for an IP address or index) and then add an option to display it.

This electronic message is intended to be for the use of the named recipient, and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. This communication may contain protected health information (PHI) that is legally protected from inappropriate disclosure by the Privacy Standards of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and relevant Pennsylvania Laws. You can direct questions concerning PHI or HIPAA to the Corporate Compliance and Privacy Officer at (215) 707-5605. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, you should notify the sender immediately by telephone or by return e-mail and delete and destroy all copies of this message.