Re: [chrony-users] Changing hostnames for chronyc sources and sourcestats results

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 08:51:17PM +0000, Kohr, Alexander wrote:
> For those that want to show both the hostname and the IP address for instance in the case where you have a pool of IP addresses for just one hostname like 0.centos.pool.ntp.org, maybe you could use a -l for long flag to allow both the Name/IP Address field to show both a hostname and specific IP address you are connecting to, along with any other changes to that output that would need to be made when flags like -4 or -6 are also invoked.

Do you think it would make sense to have a new command like "ntpnames"
to display both the addresses and hostnames, without any other data?

> Thank you, for your time and consideration and for any future changes you may make to future versions to show the as configured on launch information in the Names/IP addresses and the possibility of showing both an IP address and a hostname.

Thank you for your input.

In the experimental NTS code I'm working on, each NTP source remembers
its hostname from the configuration. So, we just need to make it
available to chronyc (e.g. a new command to return the name for an IP
address or index) and then add an option to display it.