Re: [chrony-users] Time synchronisation over a high-latency packet radio network

On 13/5/19 5:08 pm, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 03:51:43PM +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
>> I gave this a shot, but had no joy:
>>> root@hackerlab:~# chronyd -q -t 30 "server 127.0.0.1 port 3123"
>>> 2016-11-03T18:02:55Z chronyd version 3.0 starting (+CMDMON +NTP +REFCLOCK +RTC +PRIVDROP +SCFILTER +SECHASH +SIGND +ASYNCDNS +IPV6 -DEBUG)
>>> 2016-11-03T18:02:55Z Initial frequency 26.917 ppm
>>> 2016-11-03T18:03:25Z chronyd exiting
>>
>> I'll keep it on one side though, as it may be part of the solution overall.
>
> 30 seconds is too short for the default minpoll/maxpoll with no
> iburst. You would also need to increase the maxjitter and maxdistance
> values if you need them in normal operation. I think it's usually
> better to just start the normal chronyd instance and wait for the sync
> with the chronyc waitsync command instead of using -q to avoid wasting
> those measurements.

Actually, silly thought… the `chronyc` command, is there a way to make
the `waitsync` call via an API of some kind (HTTP-based perhaps?).

It'd be really handy to know for sure the clock is set rather than just
checking to see that the current system time is later than the age of my
application.

The response codes I've seen out of `chronyc` hint at something HTTP
based (maybe via a Unix-domain socket), which would work real well since
I'm using the `asyncio` event loop.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...