Re: [chrony-users] makestep examples in docs

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_ www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/

On Fri, 29 Mar 2019, Brendan Simon (eTRIX) wrote:

I have a number of data loggers spread out geographically, and it's crucial that the data they log is time syncrhonised.

I have observed occasionally that some of the loggers system time will jump into the future, triggered by chrony.  This
generally happens after they have been up for quite a while, so I was thinking that limiting maxstep to first 3 updates is
enough to set the clock correctly at startup, and then only do skewing adjustments after that.

gpsd is feeding chrony, using SHM0.  I haven't been able to get SHM1 or SOCK interfaces to work, but SHM0 is good enough for
what we need.

I'd prefer to use SOCK interface, so I might revisit that again in the near future.

I have all logging turned on - statistics, tracking, rtc, refclocks, tempcomp

I suspect either the GPS device or gpsd.  I'm trying to gather some raw NMEA data logging to see what is happening on the next
occurrence of this problem.  Was thinking that a script running `gpscat` might be the way to go (unless `gpsd` has some kind of
NMEA logging feature already?)

If the problem is with the gps or gpsd, then having the system clock closely
track then is disasterous. Chrony is only as good as the time it gets, but
using makestep to force the system clock to closely track a refclock which
jumps around will ensure that your system clock is at least as bad, if not
worse than the refclock. If you put in a flywheel ( forcing the system clock
to slew away errors) will at least mean tha the system clock will diverge from
UTC much more slowly that if you force it to jump  to keep up.

It is for this reason that ntp always advocates at least three time sources.
two of them do not have to be highly accurate but they at least keep the
system sane if one of them goes batty.

I have seen bugs in gpsd cause problems with chrony in the past.  In particular gpsd v3.11 (Debian jessie) was causing system
time to jump backwards and forwards on startup until it eventually synchronised.  Installing gpsd v3.16 (Debian
jessie-backports) solved that issue.

I have now moved to Debian buster which uses gpsd v3.17.  I also noticed that gpsd v3.18 has been released and mentions many
bug fixes and improvements to regression tests.  I'd like to use that but there is only an package available in Debian
experimental and I don't know if it will play nicely with other parts of the buster distro.

Sorry, I cannot make any comments on gpsd. I have no idea why it would jump
around. It should not care what the system time is and the gps time signal from the
sattelites should not jump around. What are you using for the gps receiver?

I have had very good service from the Sure test gps receiver but have no idea
if it is still being sold by them.

Thanks,
Brendan.