Re: [chrony-users] Chrony offset and stability adjustments?

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 03:11:32PM +0000, LeBlanc, Daniel James wrote:
> Hi Miroslav.
>
> The requirement that we are trying to meet is " Time accuracy must be within 1 ms of true time.", as described in Section 5.18 of https://www.nena.org/resource/resmgr/standards/NENA-STA-010.2_i3_Architectu.pdf.

Interesting.

> I am currently connected to the NRC Internet-accessible time servers from our lab environment.  I am so close to meeting the spec (~1.3ms reported root dispersion) that I thought I would reach out to the experts to see if there was some adjustment that I might try.  :-)

To me it sounds like you will need your own NTP server with a HW
reference clock (e.g. GPS).

> I am running chrony within a virtual environment (VM) so have disabled rtcsync and enabled rtcfile within the .conf file.  I will look at reducing the maxclockerror and increasing the minsamples setting.  Any additional items to consider would be appreciated!

I wouldn't recommend doing that unless you have verified the stability
of the clock, e.g. by comparing it to a reference clock. In any case,
that can only reduce the local peer dispersion. If most of the root
distance is from the network delay, it won't help much.