Re: [chrony-users] Ver 3.2 support of no RTC battery

[ Resending. This time cc’ing Robert! ]

Hi Robert,

On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 03:11:18PM -0400, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Back some time ago, I was dealing with an old version of chronyd in Centos (my notes say 2.1.1) and working with armv7 boards lacking RTC battery.  The hack was to add:

rtcdevice /dev/doesnotexist

There was somewhere a message (that I cannot find) that indicated this would be better supported in 3.2 (which is what I have in my current Centos image).

If so, how do I tell chrony, no battery?

IIRC since chrony 3.1, you don’t have to set the rtcdevice directive to a non-existent character device file.

Another part of this was to add to /etc/sysconfig/chronyd

OPTIONS=" -s"

to take the timestamp from the driftfile.  Is this still needed?

Yup. The “-s” option is all you need now to deal with systems with no RTC or without any battery.

thanks

Cheers,
Vincent